Sunday, November 19, 2017

Azure Kingfisher

Azure Kingfisher in Klasow valley
This is the picture of an Azure Kingfisher that I saw while I was guiding a Dutch visitor in Klasow valley of Sorong regency, Indonesia. At first, I thought it was a Dwarf Kingfisher but after reading some description in the field guide book Birds of New Guinea, I concluded that it was an Azure Kingfisher (Ceyx azureus).
The bird lives near the river whose water is calm. I and the Dutch birder were sitting at the bank of a small river when I saw the bird landed on a vine just a few meters away from me. It was was a nice moment. I took my Fujifilm camera and slowly aimed it at the bird. I made several shots of the bird. There are several species of Kingfishers in the valley. Some of them include: Yellow-billed Kingfisher, Rufous-bellied Kookaburra, and Red-breasted Paradise Kingfisher.
If you plan to go birdwatching in rainforest of West Papua, don't forget to bring a good pair of binoculars such as 10x42 that is made by Leica, Swarovski, Zeiss, or Nikon.

Translate